It is a truth universally acknowledged that a renter or homeowner in possession of a garage must be in want of garage organizing tips and garage storage ideas—or so we’d imagine Jane Austen would tell us if she were alive today. The fact of the matter is a little less flowery—your garage needs help. It doesn’t matter whether you have a cozy one-car garage or a truly outrageous amount of space; if you have a garage of any size, there’s a very good chance you could use a few tips on how to organize your garage.
Garage Organizing Tips
- Start by taking everything out of your garage, and we do mean everything: vehicles, outdoor power tools, old paint cans, assorted nails and so on. This is one of those tasks that seems easy and not terribly time-consuming before you begin, but you’ll quickly realize how much work is ahead. Make sure you set aside enough time for this—it’s definitely not a project to start at 9 p.m. on a Sunday.
- Go through and evaluate each item. Determine what needs to be discarded, fixed or returned to its rightful owner. As you’re doing this, you might find it helpful to make a list of everything you’re keeping for your personal records. This will cut down impulse purchases at the hardware store, helping you keep the clutter to a minimum.
- Sort each item into groups based on function. Use broad categories like garden and lawn care, sports equipment and hand tools to make the job easier.
- Take a good look at the actual space and determine where it makes sense to store each group of items. If you have kids, for example, it might be a good idea to keep sports equipment and outdoor games close to the door to remind them to put their gear away.
- Figure out what kind of storage you need. It’s important to do this after you’ve gone through and decided what to keep, as well as where it’ll go. If you start thinking about storage too early in the process, you’ll end up with something either much too large or much too small for what you need—and neither is good for organization. To maximize garage space, we recommend using vertical storage like pegboards and wall shelves—it might sound a little out there, but you might even find some bookcases with industrial or minimalist styling that suit your garage perfectly.
- Label everything. It can be a boring and lengthy process, but trust us—labeling each shelf, drawer, hook and bin will save you a ton of anguish in the long run. It’s well worth the effort.
Is organizing your garage on your to-do list? We’d love to see before and after pictures. Tag us on Instagram and show off your hard work!
Share this Post