The cold weather has settled in and we’re ready to prep our homes for Christmas.
Do you feel like you never have enough time during the holidays to do every Christmas activity you want to do? Does December fly by like Santa on his sleigh? Use an advent calendar to help plan out your days! Plan activities such as Christmas movies, a day of helping others, picking out the tree and decorating it, making hot cocoa and more!
Combine your Christmas to-do list along with a few holiday trinkets like candies and ornaments to open throughout the month of December. Mixing up the activities and the treats is a great way to combine your holiday bucket list and the classic treats of an advent calendar into one beautiful DIY project.
Below, you’ll find the necessary materials, instructions and we’ve come up with ideas for 25 fillers and 25 activities that you can incorporate into your advent calendar!
DIY ADVENT CALENDAR MATERIALS
- Writing utensils
- Clothes pins
- Tacks/hot glue
- Miscellaneous Christmas décor
- Paper bags
DIY ADVENT CALENDAR INSTRUCTIONS
The number of treats, tags, bags and envelopes depends on how many treats you decide to incorporate versus how many activities you want to include! We used 8 treats and 17 activities but feel free to use all of them or somewhere in between!
- Gather all of the supplies listed above.
- Print out the tags and cut them out.
- Write out the activities on the tags
- Punch a hole in the tags and add twine or ribbon for added flair!
- Place all of your bags and envelopes where they’ll be on your board and count out how many you’ll need in each row (and how many rows you’ll need).
- Measure out the twine going across your board and cut it to the proper length.
- Use tacks to secure the twine on the board.
- Stencil out the numbers on the bags and envelopes, once you know how many and what order you’ll want them in! We saved the stencils for the end because we wanted to plan out what was going into each bag and envelop before numbering them, so the activities correlated with the treats.
- Fill the envelopes and bags with tags and treats.
- Attach the bags and envelopes to the twine using clothespins, glue or tape. Get creative here! Add knick-knacks to the outside of the bags, use fun tape and stickers on the outside of the envelopes…Let your unique style show through on this step.
- Display your new advent calendar in your home.
Make sure the activities and the treats go hand in hand. For example, if one of your activities is “bake cookies”, you can put a cookie cutter in the bag for the day before that, so you can use the cookie cutter for that activity. If you want to decorate the tree on December 15th, put an ornament in the bag for the 14th day!
FUN CHRISTMAS & WINTER ACTIVITIES
- Visit a tree farm.
- Decorate the tree.
- Make paper snowflakes.
- Decorate the house with garland and lights.
- Have a Christmas pajama party.
- Go see Santa.
- Shovel a neighbor’s driveway.
- Build a snowman.
- Bake cookies.
- Decorate a gingerbread house.
- Write a giving list (gifts you’d love to give, instead of receive).
- String popcorn.
- Sing Christmas carols.
- Read a Christmas story.
- Write a thankful list (what you are grateful for).
- Donate (food to an animal shelter, books to a library, clothes & food to a shelter).
- Write and send thank-you cards.
- Make an ornament for your tree.
- Watch your favorite Christmas movie.
- Go ice skating.
- Make a family Christmas video.
- Family game night.
- Hang the stockings.
- Write a letter to Santa.
- Have a Christmas music dance party.
ADVENT CALENDAR FILLERS
- Candy cane
- Nail polish
- Lip balm
- Hot cocoa packet
- Tea bag
- An ornament
- Bath bomb
- Cookie cutters
- A book
- Christmas pajamas
- Fruit snacks
- Bath toys
Feeling inspired? Don’t miss another post! Be the first to know about the latest furniture trends, home solutions and new additions to our showroom. Subscribe to Hm etc. today!
We can’t wait to see how you personalize your DIY advent calendar! Be sure to share it with us on social media so we can see your masterpiece!
Share this Post