[Updated for 2019]
Take your parties out into the sunshine this year with these outdoor party ideas. Whether you are ready or not, swimsuit season is coming. Soon you’ll be lounging under shady palms with turquoise waves and white sand caressing your toes. Or, more accurately for our area, you’ll find yourself kicking up pebbly Midwest sand, carrying folding chairsto the charming, less-turquoise waters of Raccoon River.
Warm weather also brings the glorious return of sticky popsicle fingers and aroma of juicy grilled meat wafting on the breeze. Your calendar may already resemble a Jackson Pollock with scribbled reminders of Father’s Day grill outs, birthday get-togethers and graduation parties.
When the party comes to your backyard, be prepared with the perfect outdoor furniture, party themes and décor. Even if you have a cozy and compact patio, we have the patio furniture to simplify your planning.
Here are six outdoor party ideas along with the perfect patio furniture for any event that comes your way.
6 Outdoor Party Ideas
Outdoor Brunch Ideas
- Food and drink trays: Save guests from impromptu juggling acts with cups, plates, napkins and utensils. A tray table set is a fantastic example of convenient, movable surface space and a great solution for small spaces.
- Comfy outdoor seating: Create relaxing, inviting appeal with cushioned seating where guests can lounge comfortably while conversing.
- A rug: Soft outdoor rugs are a pleasure for bare toes versus the cool, damp morning ground and can make a bold yet simple design statement.
- Drinks: Have plenty of coffee, mimosas and whichever other drinks your guests fancy, on hand!
Afternoon Tea Party Ideas
Summer afternoons call for some warm tea, finger sandwiches and classical music. Make sure you have the right furniture on hand for this outdoor party!
- Comfortable table seating: Pinky-up sipping and snacking requires elbow space. Our outdoor dining sets provide friendly closeness and ample personal area.
- Tiered serving tray: Fancy finger-food deserves a fancy setup. Create a lovely look with tiered trays for tea biscuits, scones, tarts or bite-sized sandwiches.
- Shaded space: Afternoons are heating up, so keep your guests cool under the shade of an umbrella. Keep cool with large umbrellas, and tilt features, so you can keep cool in targeted shade.
- Floral details: Bring color, personality and an aromatic touch to your patio party with natural décor like a blooming table centerpiece or one of our floral-inspired outdoor rugs.
Evening Bonfire Ideas
Evening snacks are a perfect option for an intimate backyard gathering. The glow of the fire pit and string lights will go perfectly with cocktails, s’mores and a night full of laughter.
- Illuminating décor: When the sun goes down, it’s time to light up. Ignite your nightlife with aromatic candles, table lanterns or outdoor string lights.
- Fire pit: Make a place to gather ‘round for roasting hot dogs, kabobs, s’mores or any other food you can put on a stick.
- Drink cart: Your drinks will be stored in style with a unique, convenient beverage rack or bin.
- Starlight umbrella: Brighten the evening with the magic of built-in umbrella lights, no stringing up or igniting required. Our Treasure Garden Starlight collection has several colors to choose from.
Backyard Grill-Out Neccessities
This relaxing outdoor party idea is perfect for any spring or summer occasion.
- Casual seating: Ketchup drips and potato chip grease? No problem with easy-to-wash poly furniture. It’s the perfect laid-back seating!
- Beverage cooler: Chill out with chilled drinks. Keep beverages cool and collected with an ice-filled bin or insulated drink cart under the umbrella’s shade.
- Condiment table: Keep food toppings easy to access on a spacious buffet-style surface, like a rustic A-frame table or poly furniture outdoor serving set.
Kids’ Backyard Party
Outdoor kids’ parties are the best! Piñatas, board games and so many snacks are great ways to keep kids (and parents!) entertained.
- Easy entertainment: Think piñata-making, water balloons, lawn Twister…keep the kiddos entertained with easily-prepared play.
- Bright, playful colors: Keep the mood cheery with vibrant, lively colors from fun pillows to festive end tables to bright umbrellas for extra sun protection.
- Washable seating: Sticky fingers are no big deal with our colorful collection of Adirondack seating.
- Party favors: Do a craft as an activity and make it something that the children will be able to take home as a party favor, such as a DIY jewelry box or homemade Play-Doh. If crafting isn’t on the agenda, a simple favor like a bag of fun trinkets and toys are also a memorable way to end a party.
Graduation Party Ideas
Celebrate the graduation of your loved ones with pictures, table space and cake, of course! Be sure you have enough furniture to host your guests for your backyard graduation party.
- Nostalgic pieces: Take guests back with tiered displays of medals and awards, step shelves of memorabilia or strings of hanging photos.
- Extra nesting tables: With versatile, space-saving tables, you can provide guests with plenty of convenient surface space for food and drinks without sacrificing personal backyard space.
- Outdoor sectional: Create the perfect balance of spacious comfort and laid-back openness for large get-togethers.
- Food: Having a cotton candy machine or a slushie machine will set your party apart from the rest. This is a great way to create a memorable send-off for your grad.
We hope this has prepared you well to host an outdoor party this year! Be the host(ess) you’ve always wanted to be this summer!
Feeling inspired? Don’t miss another post. Be the first to know about the latest furniture trends, home solutions and new additions to our showroom. Subscribe to Hm etc. today!