The gorgeous summer weather offers a little something for everyone, whether you love to garden, go camping, barbecue, host outdoor parties or curl up on your patio furniture with a good book. But nothing ruins a perfect summer night faster than uninvited guests—we’re talking mosquitos, not nosy neighbors!
Fortunately, we’ve discovered the perfect solution. This DIY project has it all: ease, versatility, inexpensive ingredients, tons of charm and a delicious scent that repels mosquitoes like magic.
A Green Way to Keep Bugs at Bay
- Gather your ingredients. For this project, you’ll need a mason jar, a small floating candle, citronella essential oil, water, cinnamon sticks, a rosemary sprigs and one lemon.
- Slice the lemon widthwise into rounds that are approximately ¼”thick. Cut your rosemary sprigs and cinnamon sticks into 2”-long pieces. This helps to create a beautiful layered look while preventing ingredients from tipping over the candle.
- Add your lemon, rosemary and cinnamon stick segments to the jar. Add 20-30 drops of citronella oil to the jar.
- Top with hot (not boiling) water, which will coax the lemon, rosemary and cinnamon into releasing their scents into the air.
- Add the floating candle to the jar. Light the candle and enjoy!
Share this Post