The apple cider is stocked and the cozy sweaters are front-and-center in your closet. You’re ready for fall, but is your home? Never fear! Hm Etc. is here! We’ve got the best fall DIY projects around to welcome guests and the beginning of the holiday season into your home, from welcome baskets to home fragrances and everything in between.
5 Fall DIY Projects
1. Natural Home Fragrance
Making a natural fragrance that lasts throughout the day is such a simple way to set the mood for fall. Combining a mixture of spices and fruit, either in a pot on the stove top or in a slow cooker, will warm up your home in a jiffy. You can use whatever ingredients you have on hand and simply add them to a pot of water and let it simmer on low heat. There are no rules here with ingredients, so we’ll share what we used, along with a few other possible ingredients.
- A pitcher of water
- A pot or slow cooker
- Wooden spoon
- 1 apple cut in half
- 1 orange peel (dried works best)
- Cinnamon sticks (Did you know these can be rinsed off and used again?)
- Star anise
Other possibilities for ingredients: almond extract, rosemary, lemons, nutmeg, mint extract… the options are endless!
- Add ingredients to a pot.
- Add water to pot to cover ingredients.
- Heat on low until simmering.
- Stir and continue to simmer for however long you’d like (add additional water when needed).
2. Welcome Basket
If you’ve ever been a guest in someone else’s home, you know it isn’t always easy to feel at home. Help your guests feel comfortable in your house with a welcome basket! Add blankets, pillows, toiletries, towels and other fun and functional things to your basket to welcome your guests. Add their favorite coffee or tea along with some candies, and whatever other treats you think they’d enjoy. You can use exactly what we used or personalize it for your guests. Like the home fragrance DIY, there are no set rules on what to use. Not only will this be a sweet surprise for your company, it will come in handy if they forgot a necessity back home!
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Coffee or tea
- Simply place each of these items onto a stylish tray and place them in your guest room.
- Await your beloved guests.
3. Wi-Fi Frame Display
Freshen up the way you give your guests one of the most important things they’ll need— the Wi-Fi password. You can use an ornate gold frame, a simple black frame or anything in between to show off both your style and Wi-Fi code at the same time. Either hang it on the guest room wall or add it to your welcome basket so it’s with all of the other necessities your guest will need!
- Whether writing by hand or using a computer, use your imagination for the photo of the Wi-Fi network name and password. We used a 5” x 8” paper to go in our frame.
- Place the paper in the frame and hang it on your wall or place visibly in the guest room.
4. Thankful Tree
The holidays are the perfect time to showcase what you’re thankful for. Add a stylish decoration to your home with this thankful tree. All you need are a few supplies and a whole lot of gratitude to make this heartwarming, kid-friendly DIY.
Make it your own by using whatever jars, ribbons, colors and branches you want! Of course, the most personalized thing will be the “thankful leaves” but you can use whatever jar and accessories blend with the style of your home. You can use it as a centerpiece at your table or set it by your fireplace. Don’t forget to display it at Thanksgiving! Leave the materials out before and after dinner so your guests can add to your tree too!
- Branches (real or faux)
- Twine or string
- Burlap or ribbon
- Hole punch
- Markers and paper (or use our printable fall gift tags)
- Chalk, chalk paint and wood slices
- Create outlines of leaves, circles, tags, etc. on paper.
- Cut out the paper.
- Write something you’re thankful for on each piece of paper.
- Use a hole punch to create a hole for the string.
- Tie string to create an ornament for the tree.
- Place the branches into the jar (we used faux birch branches from our marketplace).
- Fill a jar with pinecones, rocks, lights or whatever decoration you want.
- Hang your thankful leaves onto the branches.
- Place on your mantel, table or wherever you’d like to display your thankful tree!
Make this beautiful display interactive by placing markers and extra papers next to it so your guests can add to the tree as well!
5. Fall Mason Jars
Our last fall DIY project to create an inviting home this season is one we’ve already written about. Maybe you’ve heard of it? It’s our fall mason jar craft! With just seven items and three easy steps, you can create a beautiful decoration to create autumnal bliss in your home. These mason jars are beautiful on their own or can be set next to the thankful tree with leaves, confetti and other fall decorations to create a stylish tablescape.
We can’t wait to see how your DIYs turn out. Be sure to share them with us on social media and subscribe to Hm etc. today so you don’t miss out on the next DIY post!
Share this Post