Have a big move coming up? Don’t sweat it! These printable moving checklists are sure to help keep track of things so that you don’t have to.
Free Printable Moving Checklists
Regardless of whether you’re moving into a studio apartment in the heart of downtown or a sprawling country manor, remembering everything during a move can be really difficult! We put together two moving checklists to help: a pre-move checklist and post-move unpacking list that are sure to make moving a breeze!
Eight Weeks Before:
- Contact moving company, if hiring movers
- Create a budget
- Take inventory of valuable items
- Give your landlord notice
Six Weeks Before:
- Request medical and dental records
- Choose an official moving date
- Transfer school records
- Cancel memberships to local affiliations (gyms, clubs, etc.)
Four Weeks Before:
- File change of address with the post office and place of work
- Notify subscription services
- Buy moving supplies (boxes, tape, etc.)
- Begin packing items that are not used often
- Notify utility companies
- Create a labeling system for the boxes
- Make arrangements with your bank and credit companies
Two Weeks Before:
- Finalize travel arrangements
- Plan meals for the next two weeks to use up food
- Dispose of flammable items
One Week Before:
- Set aside valuables and personal items
- Begin cleaning rooms that you don’t use frequently
- Finalize packing and labeling boxes
- Carefully pack electronics
- Measure furniture and doorways
- Fill important prescriptions
One Day Before:
- Empty and clean your refrigerator
- Set aside move-in box with first-day essentials
- Pack a bag of essentials (set of clothes, toiletries, etc.)
- Gather road trip necessities
- Check every room before locking up
- With movers: Double check before signing off and arrive at new home beforehand
Post-Move Unpacking Checklist
Unpack the necessities ASAP:
- These were probably the last items you packed up before you left. They’re the most important items that you can’t go day-to-day without. Unpack these first.
Do the kitchen first:
- The first room you should tackle is your kitchen. With simple, easy-to-unpack items, it’ll go by quickly, but it’s the easiest room to put off for weeks if you’re not careful.
Handle the bedrooms next:
- Start with your closet and then move to bedding, lamps and other décor you have. This should go by pretty quickly, depending on how much you put in your bedroom.
Bathrooms: quick and easy:
- Bathrooms are a nice break to put in the middle. With little to unpack and minimal décor, it’s easy to unpack these (commonly) small spaces.
Finally, unpack the living spaces:
- The living areas take time and consideration to create a unique design you’ll love. Start with large furniture and rugs first, then move to small side tables and accents.
Lastly, the utility areas…
- Lastly, organize and unpack your utility areas. These are the least important to get unpacked, so it may take you a few weeks to get to them, and that’s totally ok!
Looking for more information on cleaning and getting your home spick and span? Head to our Home Organization & Cleaning page for everything from spring cleaning to furniture arrangement hacks.
Feeling inspired? Don’t miss another post. Be the first to know about the latest furniture trends, home solutions and new additions to our showroom. Subscribe to Hm etc. today!
Share this Post